Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Cold feet: and the fear sets in!



Contrary to the title of this blog, I had a troubling dilemma before I could bring myself to writing this piece here. Perhaps I can confidently confess that I did not give much thought into the naming of the blog with a future picture in mind. Now coming to the subject:

I have heard and continue to hear people- mostly who are on the verge of making life changing decisions- say they are having cold feet; and I thought wait, its summer how can your feet be cold? What an unrelated imagery portraying decision making much in contrast to the disease or syndrome itself. Much these days translated into an emotional state that each of us constantly and unwillingly are entangled with – fear-. For some when it hits, it encourages the self-preservation mode in them, whereas in others it instils the drive to even go further or do more of what brought about the fear. Dependent on your personality trait, fear can squash or uplift you.

Finally in recent days, I too have been experiencing this “cold feet” syndrome, mainly because I made some life altering decisions. Now this being the first time ever, I found myself doubting, second guessing choices I was making; I guess that was the “self-preparatory” state that I in most instances under similar circumstances find peace in. Until I was showed with encouraging advices and life examples of similar cases to mine, I was in the deep to a point where reverting decisions I took seemed an option; but then I thought it would render me a spineless and faint-hearted person having to give in to the negativity from within and that of bitter lives.

Not that I would know a great deal about it, but in my few years in an attempt to acquire knowledge; I have learned that success is being put to the scale and measured in different units, quantity (what you have currently) and quality (will what you currently have last). Because we are so tuned to equating success with something, the instant we see a hint of failure or negativity in our paths; the fear sets in- hence the cold feet.

I guess what I am trying to get across is this that no matter what we do, how brave we are, or how good a front we can put up; whether publicly or privately the fear will set in regardless of the amount of time we might spend in such a state, it’s the how we get ourselves past that, that matters: much like the way how we decide to either cross the traffic lights on ember running or wait for the green man to wave us past in a relaxed walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment